Wednesday, October 6, 2010

R.I.P. Jetta

My Jetta is officially gone. The insurance people finally came to evaluate the damage, and the tow company picked it up while I was at school Monday. I didn’t get to say goodbye.

I’m not gonna lie. I cried. But I’m a crier. I lose it every time I watch “Field of Dreams” and Ray’s dad asks him if they’re in Heaven. “No, we’re in Iowa,” but there IS a Heaven. I tear up sometimes when I tell my girlfriend how much I love her, because I’ve been on the shit side of it and never thought it could be like this. I cried every summer on the last night of camp growing up, and YES, I’ve even shed a few while watching “Gravity” being played in person.

So when my car was taken from its final resting place, I cried.

My mom put a flower on the spot where it got hit, and coming home with it gone (as pitiful as it had been), the whirlwind of the last week caught up with me. Everything’s been non-stop since I had to get out of bed at 3 a.m. a week ago to see the damage, and it really didn’t hit me that it was destroyed until now.

It’s crazy to put so much into an OBJECT, but I’m a sentimental dude, and cars are different than other material goods. They take us places and protect us along the way. They’re a stereo on wheels, and you know you need music for any drive. They’re the last stop for a personal pep-talk before an interview or a first-date, and they take us back when the pep-talks work and things are good (or get us out when we need to run). They are the most important part of any road trip.

And speaking of ROAD TRIPS, my Jetta got to go on quite a FEW (or maybe I should say that I got to go on quite a few because of my Jetta). Together, we went through a total of 11 states and countless trips to the mountains and the beach. We also went to 11 Mayer shows. We drove all over North Carolina, down to Auburn, up to DC, and hit Tennessee from tip to tip. The driving partners changed over time but my Jetta took whoever was riding wherever we needed to go.

I’m looking for a new-used car now, but I feel like the kid from “Old Yeller” when he doesn’t want the new puppy. It’s just not the same.

So, R.I.P., my driving friend. Thanks for the miles and the memories.






No comments: